One of the best ways to discover what a college campus is really like is to take a tour. It’s not the same as seeing and experiencing it for yourself, even when reading student blogs or promotional materials. However, just like with other parts of the college application process, you should be ready for a college visit, which includes dressing appropriately!
The majority of the time, casual clothing is appropriate for a college tour. However, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t think about the best approach—class and comfort are essential.
In this guide ” What Should I Wear to a College Tour” will walk you through the best way to dress for many different college visit scenarios.
What Should I Wear to a College Tour?
One of the most important things to remember when dressing for a college tour is that, most of the time, the purpose of the tour is for you to see the college, not the other way around.
You can wear casual clothing for the most part. However, if you’re not just going to be touring the college, then there are some extra factors to take into account when dressing.
The type of college tour you will be attending plays a significant factor in what you should wear.
- What to Wear on a College Tour for a Simple Visit: If it is a typical college visit, a pair of jeans and a T-shirt are fine for a casual college visit.
- What to Wear on a College Tour for Special Events: If you’re attending an interview or meeting with a professor, you should wear something business casual.
- What to Wear on a College Tour for Multi-day Events: If you are attending a multi-day event, like Regent’syou’ll want to bring a few outfits for the various activities you will be doing. College tours can have anything from dance parties to live acting courses, so you’ll want to be prepared.
2. Check the Weather
Unless you are coming for an interview or a professional meeting, you should wear something comfortable. You’ll be outside walking to and from buildings, so you should keep the weather in mind.
A light jacket is a good idea when you are going in and out of buildings all day. Bringing an umbrella can prevent the rain from putting a damper on your tour experience.
3. Consider Your Shoes
The shoes you wear on any college tour can make or break your experience. Most tours require a lot of walking—wearing uncomfortable shoes can ruin the whole experience.
Regardless of the type of visit you are having, make sure you wear comfortable shoes that are still appropriate for the occasion. Avoid heels, pointed toes, and brand-new shoes that haven’t been broken in.
4. Be Presentable
While most college visits do not require you to dress out of the ordinary, you should still look presentable if you seriously plan to attend.
Make sure your clothes are clean, stain-free, and not wrinkled.
Your outfit should still be appropriate even if it’s casual. Avoid graphic or obscene shirts or excessively revealing clothing.
Your outfit should reflect your attitude and interest in learning about the school. Plus, you never know who you’ll meet on the tour. Leave your best impression with a clean and neat outfit.
Tips for Deciding on What to Wear to a College Tour
By following these simple tips, you can ensure that you will be dressed appropriately for your college visit, no matter what the circumstances may be.
- Try Everything on in Advance: One of the most important things to remember when it comes to choosing what to wear on a college visit is to try everything on in advance. You don’t want to be rushing around the morning of your college tour trying to find something to wear. This will make you feel stressed and anxious, which is not the impression you want to give.
- Choose an Outfit That’s Right For the Climate: When choosing what to wear for a college tour, it is important to keep the climate and season in mind. If you are visiting a school in the middle of winter you will want to dress in layers since a lot of your time will be spent outside. Similarly, if you are visiting a school in a warm climate, you will want to wear lighter clothing than if you are visiting a school in a cold climate.
- Make Sure Your Clothes are Wrinkle-Free and Presentable: Making sure your clothes are wrinkle-free for your college tour is important. To ensure your clothes look presentable you can either iron them before you leave or try using a wrinkle releaser spray the night before and hang them to dry.
- Coordinate With Your Tour Group: If you are touring a college with a group, it is important to coordinate what you are wearing with the other members of your group. You don’t want to be the only one dressed formally if everyone else is dressing casually, or vice versa. You can contact your tour guide to find out this information.
- Allow Yourself Ample Time to Get Ready: Another tip for what to wear on a college visit is to give yourself plenty of time to get ready. This way you can take your time trying on different outfits and making sure that everything looks just right. You don’t want to be rushed and end up wearing something that you’re not entirely happy with.
- Pack an Extra Outfit: If you are touring a college and then have an interview, it is important to pack an extra outfit. This way, if something happens to your original outfit, you will still have something to wear. It is also a smart idea to pack an extra pair of shoes in case your original shoes get wet or dirty.
- Pack a Bag with Everything You Need: Finally, once you have decided what to wear on your college tour, make sure to pack a bag with everything you need. This includes comfortable shoes, a water bottle, an umbrella, and any other essentials. By being prepared, you can relax and focus on enjoying your college visit.
What Not to Wear on a College Visit
There are also some things that you should avoid wearing on a college tour. First, avoid wearing clothes that are too revealing or overly casual like a T-shirt. You want to look put together and professional. Second, avoid wearing anything that would make you stand out negatively. This includes clothing with offensive language or images. Finally, avoid wearing anything that is too distracting or makes it difficult to move around.
Tours of colleges can be overwhelming as well as educational. You will look your best and feel confident if you heed our advice on what to wear and what not to wear. Make sure to get in touch with the admissions office of that particular school or visit their website if you have any additional queries concerning the college visitation procedure or would like additional details about it. We hope this thrilling journey is everything you’ve imagined it would be!
Frequently Asked Questions
Avoid ripped clothing, t-shirts, and especially gear with another college’s name on it.